Friday, September 12, 2008

Sweet Italian Sausage Quiche--So Easy and So Good


So I decided that my daughter Taylor's 2nd birthday this year should be a Birthday Brunch since we had family visiting us the weekend of her birthday, and they would need to leave early that day to head back home. I had never hosted a brunch and so the mad search for recipes began. I wanted a variety, and I wanted to be sure I would have things other than Publix's donuts for the kids to eat. In my searching, I came across a recipe for a quiche. It wasn't quite what I was looking for, but it was close--so I changed it up a little and made it my own. It was a big hit at the party, and I have made it so many times now that I've got it down to perfection. I've even got a secret tip for you, but you'll have to read to the end to find out what it is. Here is the recipe.

Sweet Italian Sausage Quiche

1 pound sweet Italian sausage
4 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
1 cup sour cream
2 frozen, unbaked pie shells

Set out pie shells to thaw. Squeeze sausage from its casing onto skillet sprayed with non-stick spray. Fry sausage meat, scrambling it into small pieces. Drain. In a bowl, mix eggs and milk. Add cheeses, sour cream and cooked sausage to the bowl and mix together. Pour into thawed pie shells and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Ovens vary so watch closely.

The key ingredient to this recipe is the Sweet Italian Sausage. This quiche just isn't the same if you substitute regular breakfast sausage. And now here is that tip I promised you--bake the quiches the night before so you don't have to get up an hour before everybody else and cook. Bake them, let them cool completely, cover them with some aluminum foil and place in the fridge. The next morning you can either reheat them in the oven or serve onto plates and reheat them in the microwave. We wake up hungry in the mornings so we usually use the microwave method, and the quiche takes great. So leave the cereal boxes in the pantry and try something different one morning. Or if you are like us and like having breakfast for supper on occasion, you'll love this quiche so much you'll eat it for supper too.

Enjoy!!!

No comments: