Monday, October 20, 2008

Georgia Girl Pulled Pork Sandwiches

I'm a Georgia Girl--a Southern Belle--a Georgia Peach. Yep, that's me. I'm a proud Southerner, and I know from experience that there's nowhere else I'd rather be. I've lived in the South all my life (except for a very brief time in Southern California which cannot possibly be confused with the South and right now living in Orlando, FL which may be in the South but isn't like the South I know at all--but anyway). I love the South. I love its warmth, its charm and its hospitality. I love the people, the culture, the homes and the food. Oh, the food. I can't think of anywhere that has yummier food than the South with its BBQ, fried chicken, fresh vegetables that go straight from the garden to the table, warm buttermilk biscuits drenched in melting butter and peach cobbler that makes you wonder if you've died and gone to heaven.
Well the Georgia Girl is going to share another recipe with all of you so you can have a little taste of the South-- wherever you may be.


Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Here's what you'll need to serve 8 people:

1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and pepper
3 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast
1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
4 cloves minced garlic
8 soft sandwich rolls
Your favorite BBQ sauce if you want it, but you probably won't need it. This BBQ is so moist and flavorful, we don't use any store bought sauce with it.


Directions: Cook low and slow-- APPROXIMATELY 300 degrees for 3 hours. All great Southern cooks just know how to check it and know when it'll be done. That's something your Mama's gotta teach ya.

1. In a small bowl, combine sugar, cayenne, 1 tbsp salt, 1 tsp pepper and then rub over the pork.

2. Place pork in 5 qt. Dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot.

3. In a medium bowl, combine vinegar, garlic, 1/2 cup water and pour over the pork. Cover pot and place in oven. Bake until pork is very tender and easily pulls away with your fingers.

4. When done, remove pork to work surface and save the pan juice. Let pork cool enough to pull apart with your fingers. Pull pork and place in a large bowl. Toss with pan juice to moisten. You probably won't need all of it, but be sure to save the juice for moistening your leftovers.

5. Split rolls, pile on the pork and top with extra sauce if you like.


These Southern sandwiches are my family's favorites. They are simple and they are good. You just can't beat that.

I hope you all enjoy them as much as we do.

1 comment:

FarmGirl said...

MMMMMmmmmmmmmmm good!!! Hard to beat a good ole' home cooked meal! I love your rub...I will have to try that.

We have been out enjoying this great fall weather, but soon winter will be here and I will want to be south SOUTH, where you are. Winter is just not pleasant!! Icky ole' snow...but MUST have snow Xmas day...I am so fickle aren't I!!